Be The Media Central
What is "Be The Media"?
“Be The Media,” is a new initiative by West Hartford Community Television that will train and imbed citizen journalists in our schools and neighborhoods so they can present local news, unique perspectives and community activities about West Hartford. These volunteer journalists will videotape events, create videos and post them to our community television video blog and write a description of the event. Town residents will be able to watch the short videos online and on television programs on our channels.
How is Be The Media being funded?
On August 4, 2008, WHC-TV applied for a Public Educational and Governmental Programming and Education Technology Investment Account (PEGPETIA) grant through the Department of Public Utility Control. The grant was approved and WHC-TV was awarded more than $15,000. The money from this grant is strictly being used for “Be The Media” and has helped WHC-TV purchase 30 Flip HD video cameras, two Panasonic HD video cameras, two Manfrotto tripods, 8 SD memory cards, and a video server.
The original grant proposal can be found here.
Documents relating to the Be The Media project
To download or view PDF versions of any of the following documents, right-click "Download PDF" and choose "Save Target As...".
|The Complete Manual: Be The Media||View Guide|| Download PDF|
|Flip Mino HD Quick Start Guide||View Guide || Download PDF|
|Be The Media Release Form ||View Guide|| Download PDF|
|Editing Video: Trimming A Video Clip||View Guide || Download PDF|
|Editing Video: Combining Video Clips||View Guide|| Download PDF|
|Uploading Your Video: Windows XP||View Guide|| Download PDF|
|Uploading Your Video: Windows Vista||View Guide|| Download PDF|
|Uploading Your Video: Mac OS||View Guide|| Download PDF|
How can I send my videos to WHC-TV?
For your convenience, there are 3 options available to send your video(s) to WHC-TV:
1) You can upload your video to WHC-TV’s video server from your computer via FTP. This method requires a high speed internet connection. Because the Flip video cameras shoot in high definition, the video files can be fairly large and may take anywhere between 10 minutes to an hour to upload to WHC-TV's servers. For instructions how to upload your video to WHC-TV’s server please refer to the appropriate guide for the version of Windows or Mac that you are using:
You can also use any FTP client to connect to the Be The Media server. The information is as follows:
- Server: 126.96.36.199
- Port: 21 (Default FTP Port)
- Username: Anonymous
- Password: (There is no password - leave this blank)
2) You can copy and paste your video to a USB Flash drive and bring it to the WHC-TV studio where we will transfer the video to our server
3) You can create a data CD or data DVD and either mail it or drop it off at the WHC-TV studio. We are located at 50 South Main St., West Hartford, CT 06107.